Best Internal Gear Hub in 2020: Detailed Review & Buying Guide
Bicycle is a universal transporting system; nowadays, it is the most adventurous too, as it offers a broader view of tourist spots. It does matter what’s the use of the bicycle; nobody wants to face any hassle at all. Isn't it?
In this case, the internal gear hub is a part of a bicycle that increases the overall performance, which has almost zero maintenance and looks stunning. But it's not invented in recent times, it on the market in the early 20th century and over time the popularity rises gradually. Now, most of the newest addition uses the best internal gear hub to produce the best riding experience.
The advancements in derailleur technology allow the bikes to have more gears such as 8, 11, 14 and even 24-speed cassette and derailleur systems. It is consistent, maintenance-free, and strong enough to resist most of the typical damage that may occur.
Table of Contents
- 1 Comparison of 5 Best Internal Gear Hub
- 2 5 Best Internal Gear Hub Reviews:
- 2.1 1. SHIMANO Alfine 8-Speed Internal Geared Bicycle Disc Brake Hub - SG-S7001-8
- 2.2 2. SHIMANO Alfine 11-Speed Internal Geared Bicycle Disc Brake Hub - SG-S7001-8
- 2.3 3. Sturmey Archer S2C Kick-Shift Internal Gear Hub Kit
- 2.4 4. Shimano Nexus SG-C6000-8C 8-Speed Internally Geared Coaster Brake Rear 36h Hub
- 2.5 5. NuVinci N380SE CVP Internal Gear Bicycle Rear Hub Black 32h Disc Brake
- 3 Buyer Guide of Best Internal Gear Hub
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ) of Best Internal Gear Hub:
- 5 Bottom Line:
Comparison of 5 Best Internal Gear Hub
5 Best Internal Gear Hub Reviews:
Are you looking for the best internal gear hub for touring that can give you a reliable, smooth gear changeability and at an affordable price?
After a lot of research, we review different gearing systems; here, you can see 2 to 11-speed systems. All of these products require low maintenance as an internal gear hub has a cover by itself. So there is no more frequent cleaning task to clear out ‘mud glue’ from your derailleur.
Not only that, with a rear derailleur are provide smooth performance without making any unwanted sounds. Shimano and Sturmey Archer manufacturer produce amazing internal gear hub with more gears that rule over the recent market.
1. SHIMANO Alfine 8-Speed Internal Geared Bicycle Disc Brake Hub - SG-S7001-8
- Rotor lockring not included
What We Liked Most About This Product:
- SHIMANO Alfine SG-S7001-8 gives you a 307% gear range
- SG-S7001-8 model efficiently improved the internal structure for better gear engagement
- You can successfully use this internal gear hub for E-BIKE or non-E-BIKE in black and silver colors
- Smooth higher shifting with high chain tension produces a comfortable ride for all E-bike motors users
- The stunning design also suitable for riding comfortability and efficiency
SHIMANO Alfine 8-Speed Internal Gear Hub Review
Shimano Alfine 8-Speed, this name tells that it has integrated with an eight-speed rear hub. Right? You know it well that the classical back derailleur loss its applications. Nowadays, most of the bicycle manufacturer uses the Drivetrain to produce a more compact smooth ride. In this case, Shimano Alfine 8 Speed offers the best internal gear hub mountain bike that has perfect ratios and effectively working ability with only one chainring. There is no need for a double or triple crank anymore.
This hub is also perfect for city bikes; you can install it on various XC or cyclocross bikes. When you start pedaling, you will impress as it gives smooth results than you expect. Every functionality happens inside so silently.
Shimano Alfine 8 has a secure connection with a handlebar, with the help of it you can rapidly shift gears. This means you can ride faster. You can shift gears by pushing the lever and the display indicating the gear level that is precise and easy to monitor.
Sometimes you will experience technical difficulties, but here’s a real automated complex power plant inside. So all the problems you cannot fix by yourself; in this case, you may need an expert person. Shimano Alfine is one of the best Shimano internal gear hubs that you can use with silent functioning and simple maintenance on both city and mountain bikes.
- It has a 307% gear range
- You can use it as a city bike or hill tracking too
- It has eight gear
- Noiseless function
- Almost zero maintenance
- Inside has a complex mechanism
2. SHIMANO Alfine 11-Speed Internal Geared Bicycle Disc Brake Hub - SG-S7001-8
- Never Used
- In the manufacturer's retail packaging.
- With Full Factory Warranty!
- Buy it now!
What We Liked Most About This Product:
- Shimano Alfine 11 Hub Gear and Shifter has a stunning appearance with 409% gear range
- It has the best 11 speed internal gear hub structure for better gear engagement
- You will have pretty smooth shifting performance over the year without any lack
- It is perfect for both E-bike and non-E-bike
SHIMANO Alfine 11 Speed Internal Gear Hub Review
If you love mountain bike, Shimano Alfine 11 can be convenient for you. There are quite a few features that make you excited. It has not any front shifting.
Shimano Alfine - SG-S7001-8 is very lightweight that effectively increases the 409% gear range. Shimano Alfine also has less maintenance features. This gear gives an overall 24% jump from first to second, which allows 13%-14% steps for the rest of the gears.
In this way, you will get robust performance in all the season, and most of the time, you're switching between ratios effectively. You may face that there is a more significant gap than you'll be used to in the first two gears.
The modern two-piece design has an external-bearing bottom bracket, which looks plenty good. If you ran this Shimano Alfine - SG-S7001-8 in 39 or 45 teeth a paired with 1.9/1 gear ratio that gives you better results. Removing the wheel is pretty easy now; with a finger tab, you can shift the ring.
This advanced feature gives you a pleasant experience with dynamo hubs. With the help of it, you are free from worrying about battery charge. It has many advantages over a traditional derailleur drivetrain you will feel it on the first ride.
- It has 11 gear range with 409% gear range
- It has smooth shifting performance
- Stunning looks
- Suitable for pretty much all bike
- There is a significant gap between the first two gears
3. Sturmey Archer S2C Kick-Shift Internal Gear Hub Kit
- 2-Speed internal gear hub with direct drive or 138% drive ratios
- Kick shift between gears without shifters or cables
- Polished and anodized aluminum hub shell
- Cassette Body Type: 3 Prong Cog
- Bearing Type: Loose Ball
- Base gear and 38% overdrive
- No shifter or cables
- Accepts standard 3sp/coaster style cogs
What We Liked Most About This Product:
- Sturmey Archer S2C has 2 gear with 138% ratios
- You can easily change gears without shifters
- Build-in with high-class 6061 materials and accepts standard coaster style cogs
- It has coaster brake for pure braking performance
- In Sturmey Archer S2C, you can slightly switch between gear by backpedaling.
- Also, you can engage a coaster brake by a powerful backpedaling
Sturmey Archer S2C Kick-Shift Internal Gear Hub Review:
If you are still hesitant to purchase an internal hub because of the issues of randomly switching gears. You may know that the S2C series has a few minor issues with the first couple of production, but they've successfully overcome this and produce an impressive Sturmey Archer S2C kick shift hub gear. Since then, most of the customers have not any issues with the hub at all. Thus, it is considered one of the best 2- speed internal gear hub.
Basically, it has two gears. When you use the first gear, the hub is silent. After that, when you activate the second gear by backpedaling, it begins to click. This helps you want to know what gear you're currently riding. Also, you can automatically return to the previous gear, just a single hit on the brake.
Sturmey Archer S2C internal gear hub just shines on a bike, that's looks make you happier eventually. This hub is more massive than others, so you can comfortably ride this on twenty-six-inch or 700cc tires.
The Sturmey Archer S2C doesn't require any cabling so that you can change low/high gear most efficiently by a brake. In this internal gear hub, the sprocket is locked to the hub shell to gives you an effectively track through a single ‘step-up.
- Built-in with aluminum shell materials
- It has a 2-Speed hub with 138% drive ratios
- Stunning looks
- You can switch between gear by backpedaling
- The axle is not long enough
- Sturmey Archer S2C is a little bit heavier
4. Shimano Nexus SG-C6000-8C 8-Speed Internally Geared Coaster Brake Rear 36h Hub
- 132mm over locknut dimension
What We Liked Most About This Product:
- Shimano Nexus SG-C6000-8C comes with three size chainstay clamps, hub nuts, and cassette joint
- You can enjoy 8-speed hub gear range between 0.527 and up to1.615
- Whit the help of premium lightweight 8-speed hub for smooth operating internal mechanics
- It also has a superior weatherproof functionally with labyrinth seals
- You can accurately shift between gears, and inter-8 hubs pedal give you an exceptionally light feel
- Shimano's internal gear hub reliability manufacturing produces less drag than previous models with the combination of rapid, smooth, and silent shifting
Shimano Nexus 8-Speed Internally Gear Hub Review
Shimano Nexus SG-C6000-8C has a broader range of gears. If two or three gear is not enough for you, you can have this one. It has an array of features such as stunning classic looks coaster brake rear 36h, requires less maintenance, and you will find this product from most of the shop because it has set-up and more comfortable with upgrading or replacing features.
After unpacking the Shimano Nexus SG-C6000-8C, all the disappointment starts to disappear right away because it has a classical feel that helps to do that.
When you are riding a bike, you feel much comforted with the smooth gear changing ability. Even switching gears is so soft and instant without any dragging force. If you never think about an internal hub as a severe option, give it a try. You will amaze by the performance.
Nexus 8 internal gear hub works well even on snowy wintertime. This internal gear hub can produce a smooth performance in -9 degree temperatures. It will deliver a decent mileage performance daily. You can smoothly ride an on average of 20 miles in a day and up to 120+ miles on a week, but it depends on the road.
Also, you can use it as a roller brake. Just remove the cover and an aluminum cap to express the roller brake part. It is not difficult to change up a gear; it's straightforward; flick the hub right down the gears with one finger, that's it.
- It has an 8-speed setup between 0.527 to1.615
- smooth operating internal mechanics
- Noiseless performance
- It requires less maintenance
- Works well even –9 degree temperatures
- Silently heavier than others
5. NuVinci N380SE CVP Internal Gear Bicycle Rear Hub Black 32h Disc Brake
What We Liked Most About This Product:
- NuVinci N380 produces smooth, seamless shifting so you can change gears without hesitations dropped scope
- The 380% ratio ensure steady shift any time, in any condition
- NuVinci technology deliver fuel-efficient performance
- You can smoothly change one speed to another, without any unpleasantly gear engagements
- The lighter and smaller size requires less space
NuVinci N380SE CVP Internal Gear Hub Product Review
NuVinci technology is a little bit different than the conventional system. After long research, the "fallbrooktech" engineer utilizes the NuVinci technologies on bicycles and electric bikes, to make them more unique with a lot of rich features.
Continuously variable transmission (CVT) successfully fixed a particular ratio range from low to high. This technology can operate the power source at an optimum stage to produce efficient power or torque. This advanced feature effectively improves performance to deliver peak power to the drivetrain and increases acceleration continuously. Though it's a motor-related concept, now it can apply to a bicycle too.
This model has minimal maintenance compared to the RohloffSpeedhub, as it requires changing the oil every year. The drivetrain does not get damaged easily; even the frame gets banged into a rack. Most of the Enviolo product comes with two wires, with the help of it you can physically move by twist shifting.
The Harmony version can work with an independent power source and integrates with electric bike systems to utilize their battery, display, and button pad precisely. HSYNC optimizes eShift, so you can trigger whenever you change gears; also the motor allows for smoother gear ratio changes.
NuVinci efficiently works with a mid-drive motor. You hardly see any lack of it. Do you know, well known Riese& Müller bike manufacture company uses this mechanical shifting system to accommodate advanced riders?
- It has 380% ratio with a steady shift
- It has high torque density
- Built-in with standard materials
- Cost-efficient for a long ran
- It has an automatic transmission feature
- NuVinci N380SE is not ideal for extreme-sport
Buyer Guide of Best Internal Gear Hub
Smooth Shifting Feature:
Before buy, you have to check the shifting feature. This feature can give you an exclusive experience most of the time. Now, most of the internal gear hub has modern trigger shifter technology that reduces potential failure.
Internal gear contains all the moving parts in a sealed unit; this means the hub entirely secure from water, dirt, road salt, and grime. Thus, all the shifts are happening smoothly from one gear to the next. Also, you can check, it has the feature to change multiple gears at once or not.
Everyone has a unique requirement. Before purchase one, you have to understand what you want? After that find one that can give you satisfactory results. Also where and how frequently you need to use that can be a vital question too. Because different road requires different gear systems. On the hill track, you need more gear than the normal road.
The good quality internal gear hub does not make noise usually. But there is a small sound that helps you to understand that the gear has changed successfully. But the best way to know is to see the display.
It is also important to buy the internal gear hub within affordable prices. The internal gear hub is very much budget-friendly. With a small amount of money, you can buy one which fulfills all your demand. Basically the price depends on the manufacturer company reputation, materials, and gear range.
Here you actually find this kind of internal gear hub which gives you optimum performance without compromising the quality.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ) of Best Internal Gear Hub:
Are internal gear hubs enough for touring?
Yes, Shimano 8-speed or 11- speed internal gear hubs enough for touring. Because it requires less maintenance, so if you have zero knowledge about internal gear hubs, it does not create any problem at all. All the internal gear hub system has standard touring setup. The strong cogs and narrower chains are enriching their performance.
What is the Best internal gear hub with 120mm OLD?
If you want to convert your single-speed gear hub to use a new, high-quality internal gear hub, you can do that, but there is a problem that you have to consider and solve first because the mainframe has a rear spacing of 120 mm. Isn't it?
In this case, you can use a standard (dual-pivot) brakes or a bar-end shifter to solve this issue. Shimano's SG-3D55, Sturmey Archer (118.9 and 119.7 mm OLD) model can be handy since they align in 2nd gear. Also, all of them enhance the outer look, compatible with an expensive bicycle, and it's the least costly as well.
Why is the overall gear ratio so important?
The overall gear ratio plays an important part because it decides some major factor; you will realize it well when you are cycling on the hill. In this circumstance, you want to reduce your gear ratio by shifting into a lower gear because a smaller gear ratio will increase the speed as well. When you cannot do that the cycling uphill gets harder, and in the end, you may decide to walk and push your bike.
Is the number of gears important?
Obviously, Various gearing system gives you a comfortable riding experience in all the situation, whether it is a straight road or hill track.
The best internal gear hubs are the best option when you have a low budget but want the maximum comfort and style. Without spending thousands of dollars, you can get a more efficient gear range that increases the overall performance.
The recent technical advancement gives internal gear hub a strong position in the current bicycle industry. Enough research, development and derailleur technology adds some remarkable features that can catch your eyes as well as your heart by its smooth gear shifting, noiseless, and maintenance less performance.